The American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) is seeking applicants for its 2010 summer semester (May – August) internship program. This summer, ASLA seeks two full-time interns.
A summer internship with ASLA provides an excellent opportunity for graduate or undergraduate students studying landscape architecture, architecture, urban planning, sustainable development, or environmental studies. Students with an interest in policy, advocacy, and web communications are encouraged to apply.
- Research, track, and analyze federal and state legislation focused on transportation, natural resources, environmental, water resource management, and sustainability issues, particularly as they relate to landscape architecture.
- Assist with the Society’s direct advocacy with the Congress, the administration, and the federal agencies.
- Assist with drafting, editing, and compiling government affairs communications, correspondence, and publications.
- Develop original content for The Dirt.
- Contribute to biweekly electronic newsletter, LAND Online
- Support chapter communications and resource development.
- Current enrollment in a Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree program in landscape architecture, architecture, urban planning, public policy or administration, environmental studies, or related field.
- Passionate interest in policy issues related to design, land use, sustainability, and the environment.
- Experience or familiarity with federal and state government affairs and the federal appropriations process.
- Ability to write congressional correspondence, news stories, reports, and presentations.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Powerpoint, Excel) and proven Internet research skills.
The 2010 summer internship is unpaid. Applicants must demonstrate they are using the internship to fulfill internship requirements. Applicants are also required to receive funding through their university or an external fellowship in order to be considered.
The summer intern should be present at ASLA offices for at least three full days per week. ASLA offers a flexible schedule. Please send cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.