The day we’ve been waiting for — Olmsted’s 200th birthday on April 26 — is almost here, and we couldn’t be more excited to reflect on Olmsted’s living legacy and usher in the next 200 years of parks for all people.
As we prepare to #CelebrateOlmsted, the campaign needs help showing the depth and breadth of Olmsted’s fan base. The National Association of Olmsted Parks (NAOP) and the Olmsted 200 campaign are crowdsourcing birthday wishes for Frederick Law Olmsted’s special day.
In the form of short video submissions, we are asking ASLA chapters and chapter members to send birthday messages in honor of this monumental occasion. Record a message alone, film it with a friend, or get the entire chapter or office involved — the possibilities are endless! Videos will be collected and included in a special birthday project. The deadline to submit is April 21.
We also hope that you’ll join us in-person! Next week, Olmsted 200 will be in New York to #CelebrateOlmsted with our founders, partners, and friends. If you happen to be in the city, please join us for park tours and other programming happening in Manhattan and throughout the other boroughs.
Can’t get to New York? No worries! Meet us on social media (@Olmsted200) for exciting live content— like our Instagram Live with Central Park Conservancy on April 25 at 10:30 am ET. Or find a birthday party happening near you.
Birthday parties will be held across the country and include:
- B’Earthday Bash hosted by Prospect Park Alliance at the Prospect Park Audubon Center in Brooklyn, NY on April 23
- Floating Carillon Concert hosted by the University of Dayton at Deed Carillon Park and Old River Park in Dayton, OH on April 23
- FLO Fest hosted by The Friends of Olmsted-Beil House in Staten Island, NY on April 24
- UC Davis Sheepmowers — Tribute to Frederick Law Olmsted hosted by UC Davis in Davis, CA from April 25-27
- Central Park’s FLO 200th Birthday Celebration hosted by Central Park Conservancy in New York, NY on April 26
- Frederick Law Olmsted Bicentennial Birthday Celebration hosted by Red Butte Garden and the Salt Lake City Garden Club in Salt Lake City, UT on April 26
- Birthday Party for Olmsted’s 200 hosted by Riverside Historical Commission in Riverside, IL on April 26
- Frederick Law Olmsted’s 200th Birthday hosted by Emerald Necklace Conservancy in Boston, MA on April 26
- An Olmsted Birthday Party: Parks for All hosted by East Hampton Public Library and Cornell Cooperative Extension, Suffolk County in East Hampton, NY on April 26
- Olmsted’s 200th Birthday Party hosted by Callanwolde Fine Arts Center in Atlanta, GA on April 26
- Louisiana Celebrates Frederick Law Olmsted hosted by Baton Rouge Botanical Garden Foundation in Baton Rouge, LA on April 26
Find other celebration events on the Olmsted 200 national calendar.
The website also includes a lively blog, Shared Spaces, which features many new and exciting updates. Olmsted 200 will continue throughout 2022 and is interested in sourcing blog posts from ASLA members willing to share information about local projects, personal reflections, site histories, and more. To submit blog posts, contact Olmsted 200.